Also, this is a great series of tweets by an NYTimes reporter and ISIS expert about terrorist attacks for which IS claims and does not claim responsibility.
4. No proof is provided, but ISIS has rarely claimed attacks that were not by either their members or sympathizers.
10. My list is not complete but of the more than 50 cases I have annotated, I could only find 3 false claims.
11. Yes, the group frequently exaggerates death tolls & yes, they inflate & distort details, but the crux of the claim is typically correct
12. The thing to understand is ISIS considers an attack to be their handiwork if the attacker is sent by them or if he is inspired by them.
13. The reason I don’t buy argument that they are now opportunistically claiming attacks to deflect from battlefield losses is as follows
It has been a horrific few days since Stephen Paddock committed the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino on Sunday night. But when the Islamic State (ISIS) claimed the attack just hours after it had taken place, the tragedy took on a strange new dimension. How could Paddock, a 64 year old man with no criminal history or known radical beliefs, and whose crime police had not initially investigated as a terrorist attack, have acted on behalf of ISIS?
Investigators have as of yet found no link between Paddock and ISIS, but just as notably, they have also not found any motive at all. As Clark County Sheriff Joseph Lombardo said (albeit vaguely): “[Paddock] may may have been radicalised, unbeknownst to us, and we want to identify that source.”
However, it must likewise be noted that ISIS is facing significant losses in Iraq and Syria, and may have seen value in capitalizing on an attack it didn’t commit to salvage morale amongst members and supporters.
From CIW NEWS Contributor
United States war infowar
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
United States (US) is estimated to have a population of 325.0 million with a growth rate during 2010-2015 of 0.8% pa.
At the same rate of change, in five years' time its population will increase by 13.2 million.